For today’s recipe I want to share the most deeeelicious creamy salad dressing I have come up with so far. I decided to use it in a vegan kale Caesar salad to which I added homemade tempeh bacon and roasted almonds.
Hempseed make any dressing better!
My delicious dressing actually consists of mostly hempseed, which add the needed creaminess and a hint of nutty flavour. Another very important ingredient in this dressing and to create the ultimate Caesar salad experience are capers as well as a tiny dash of kala namak salt for the slight egg-like flavour you’d find in a traditional casear dressing.
Also I am by no means a connoisseur of Caesar salads, I might have eaten it once in my life as they’re not all that common in Switzerland. However, I’ve done my research and I think what matters most is actually that this dressing tastes just AMAZING, who even cares if it is now named after Caesar, Mark Aurel, Nero or some other roman emperor.
But why did I call it: kale Caesar salad?
I guess I’ll be honest here, giving a blog post a title that is searched often just helps in people finding your post. So you might actually just be here because you searched for a vegan Caesar salad and not because you’ve been following my recipes for a while or because you are my mum or my mum’s friend who read every single one of my blog posts.
Anyways, for whyever you’re here I hope you enjoy today’s recipe. Happy cooking!
This salad tastes even greater with my homemade buckwheat spelt bread on the side, btw.
- 140g purple kale
- 80g tempeh
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tbs maple syrup
- 1 tbs soy sauce
- 3 tbs hemp seed (hulled)
- 1 tbs apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbs nutritional yeast
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 dash kala namak salt
- 1 tbs lemon juice
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 tsp capers
- 1 tsp mustard
- 3 tbs almond milk
- For garnishing:
- hemp seed (hulled)
- 2 tbs roasted almonds, chopped
- In a small baking dish or wide bowl mix together smoked paprika, maple syrup and soy sauce. Marinate the sliced tempeh in the marinade for 30 minutes. Make sure that all of the tempeh pieces are covered in marinade.
- Preheat oven to 180°C and bake the marinated tempeh for 20 minutes.
- For the dressing, combine all of the ingredients and blend until smooth and creamy.
- Massage kale with half of the dressing.
- Break up the baked tempeh into small bits and sprinkle onto the kale. Garnish with additional hemp seed and roasted almonds.