This is another recipe I just created from the things I got at the market. I sometimes go to the market with a recipe in mind other times I just go without a plan or a shopping list and get whatever looks appealing. Last week happened to be one of the latter occasions.
Farmers market haul of the week
It was the first of December and I got up super early to run to the market. When I got up I could hardly believe it when I looked out of the window and realised that it has started snowing right in time for Christmas Season. However, that little bit of snow didn’t keep me from getting outside before dawn and I went ahead and put on my running gear which consisted of multiple layers, let me tell you. I packed my running back- pack with my wallet, a shopping bag and of course my reusable veggie bags and got out into the cold, empty and newly snowed streets of Zurich. Fortunately the run to the market is only about 4k from my house so I didn’t have to run on the slightly icy street for all that long.
The perfect way to start the month of December
The atmosphere on that morning was just magical, everything was dipped into a layer of white and there was even a tiny glimpse of sunshine coming through at one stage.
I got a bunch of fresh produce including oranges, fennel and cavolo nero. I also had some fresh coriander at home so I decided to use that as well, as I absolutely love the combination of orange and coriander. It reminds me of the salads my host mum in Australia used to make when I was on exchange in my second year of high school.
Anyways, here’s what I came up with: a warm wintery farro salad with cavolo nero, orange segments, roasted almonds, fresh coriander and a delicious orange balsamic vinaigrette.
Wintery Farro Salad / Orange, Cavolo Nero & Almonds
- 1 small fennel , thinly sliced
- 1 orange, cut into segments
- 70g cavolo nero (Tuscan kale), roghly chopped
- 30g almonads, roasted
- 10g fresh coriander, roughly chopped
- 50g farro
- ½ Orang, juice and zest
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 1 tbs balsamic
- 1 tsp grainy mustard
- ½ tsp soy sauce
- salt to taste
- Add the farro and 1.5 dl of water into a pan and let it come to a boil. Cover with a lid, turn down to lowest setting and cook for 40 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare the dressing and the rest of your ingredients. For the dressing add all of your ingredients into a blender and blend until smooth. You can also just shake it up in a jar if you like.
- Just before serving, place the cavolo nero into a large bowl. Top with the rest of the ingredients. Add the warm farro and drizzle with the dressing. This makes plenty of dressing to have some left over for another salad.