Looking for a light, yet delicious Dessert?! Make Grapefruit Pots De Creme!
Cooking for my loved ones to me is one of the greatest pleasures in life. There’s just something icredibly satisfying about making people happy with delicious food. Seeing someone genuinely enjoy something I have prepared for them brings so much joy to my life and I am sure I am not the only person, so passionate about food that feels this way.
On the other hand, one of the most disappointing things, to me at least, is when I can sense that someone is forcing themselves to eat something I put hours of effort into. Fortunately this had never happened to me with main meals or appetizers, however, I have experienced this with desserts. Usually the issue isn’t that the taste of said dessert isn’t pleasing, however, they’re usually too full already to actually still enjoy a heavy dessert. And some might even feel guilty while eating it, which you don’t really want your guests to go through.
That is why I stopped putting too much time and effort into desserts. Furthermore, I started focussing on creating something light and refreshing instead of rather heavy and sugary treats. I still occasionally do so, however, then I usually try to go with rather small serving sizes or I tend to make these type of treats for afternoon teas rather than dessert.
I discovered the pleasure of creating light and fresh desserts.
One of those light and refreshing desserts I came up with recently are those Grapefruit Pots de Crème. They consist of a very light pudding layer made of almond milk, coconut milk and the zest of one grapefruit. I then added some jam to add some depth to the flavour and lastly I topped the whole thing of with a few grapefruit segments and chopped pistachios. All in all, the dessert was a true success, exactly what I was aiming for. It was light, yet still sweet enough to count as a dessert. Just the perfect end to a fun night in with a couple of my university friends.
So let’s get started on the recipe:
- For the Creme:
- 1 Grapefruit, Zest
- 1 TL Vanilla
- 100ml coconut milk
- 300ml almond milk
- 2 tbs cornstarch, mixed with 3 tbs almond milk
- 1 tbs agave
- For Garnishing:
- 1 tbs chopped pistachios
- 1 grapefruit, in segments
- 4 tsp raspberry or strawberry jam
- In a saucepan, combine the rest of the almond milk, coconut milk, grapruit zest and vanilla. Let the mixture come to a simmer, then stir in the conrnstarch mixture and let it come to a boil. Let it cook for 2 minutes and the remove. Run the mixture trhough a sieve and then pour it into four small jars. Let cool completely before serving.
- Just before servings top each jar off with a dollop of jam, a few segements of grapefruit and sprinkle with chopped pistachios.
Have fun preparing this delicious dessert!