I am finally back with a new recipe. After almost two months of not working on my blog, my book or anything else related to food I am finally back at it. Check out my post from early January this year to find out why I had to take such a long break.
Anyways I am back now, and I’ve got a whole lot of yummy stuff planned for you. I decided to make my first post something simple yet icredibly delicious: Sushi bowls with Seaweed Sesame tofu. Something you probably don’t know about me is that I love sushi. If Sushi wasn’t so expensive here I would probably eat it all the time. However, as I don’t really think it is worth it to pay 20 Francs plus for some seaweed, rice and veggies I’ve been making my own version of sushi. I know I could also make homemade sushi rolls but to be honest that’s just too much of an effort for me. That is why I came up with this delicious Sushi bowl recipe. I am well aware that I didn’t invent the Sushi bowl, this is just how I like to prepare mine and trust me that marinated Seaweed Sesame tofu is bomb. For real, you gotta try it!
You can actually also adapt this recipe to your likings and seasonal availability of produce. Let’s say there’s no Chioggia beets, just use regular beets. No Kale, go with baby spinach. Edamame beans aren’t available in your supermarket of choice? Use chickpeas instead. There’s no rules when it comes to cooking, recipes are really just suggestions on how you could prepare something not on how you have to prepare something. Unless we’re talking about baking, then you’re better off following the instructions.
- Sushi Bowl:
- 140g Tofu, cubed*
- 1 tsp black sesame
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 2 tsp see weed flakes
- 2 tsp soy sauce
- ½ tsp Sriracha
- 100g Edamame, steamed
- 4-6 few radishes, thinly sliced
- ½ Chioggia beet, finely sliced
- ½ avocado, cubed
- 1 carrot, finely sliced
- 100-150g dry sushi rice, prepared according to package directions
- a handful of kale
- Optional toppings:
- sushi ginger
- see weed flakes
- For the marinated Tofu add the cubed Tofu, black sesam, sesame oil, see weed flakes, soy sauce and Sriracha and mix well until the tofu cubes are evenly coated in the marinade. Let the tofu marinade for at least 30 minutes.
- Last but not least assemble your Sushi bowl. Start with a bed of kale and then add on the rice, marinated tofu, steamed Edamame, carrot, radishes, beet root and avocado. Last but not least add your toppings, I went for black sesame, see weed flakes and ginger. *I like using medium firm tofu for this, for all the Swissies out there I personally find Coop’s Karma plain tofu works best for this recipe
Happy Sushi Bowl making!