This will be another one of my weekly staples. It is a recipe, or more of a guide, on how to prepare tofu the easiest and most delicious way. I have actually known this version of serving tofu for ages, since a family friend, who used to cook lunch for me when I was little used to prepare it when my sister and I where over. Until a few weeks ago I just had no clue how to prepare this deliciousness, then I happened to have dinner at her house and she showed me how to prepare this simple and super tasty yumminess. So this is basically not even my own recipe, it is just a recipe I learnt from my lovely friend Gret, who kindly shared it with me. I’m sure she doesn’t mind me publishing this on here, since it is only beneficial for the world, when more people know about this divine tasting dish, which barely requires a recipe.
The ingredient list is simple and short just like the corresponding recipe. Tofu, soy sauce, garlic, some sesame seeds and olive oil. That’s it, you don’t even need salt, well actually I should better tell you, you’re not allowed to use salt otherwise you’ll end up with a much too salty a not so yummy tasting meal. I don’t know what it is but those few ingredients just happen to be the prefect combination and taste truly amazing added into one pan and fried up. What I also love about this dish is its versatility. I find it to be a perfect accompaniment for so many different things and even though your adding soy sauce and sesame seeds to flavour it, I think it is totally acceptable to serve it as a side to non-Asian dishes. It’s even delicious as a topping added on top of some basic Spaghetti with tomato sauce.
Well what else should I say? It’s delicious, that’s it. So here you go, start cooking. Don’t waste your time. You can continue procrastinating in front of the screen during the marinating process of the tofu.
- 1 block of tofu (250 g)
- olive oil
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1tbs sesame seeds
- 3tbs soy sauce
- Cut your block of tofu into 1 cm cubes, put into a bowl
- Finely chop up your garlic and add it to the tofu
- Also add 1 tablespoon of olive oil and the soy sauce tot he tofu cubes, then let it sit for around 15- 30 minutes, depending on how hungry you are
- Heat up some olive oil in a frying pan, add the marinated tofu with the garlic, try to ad das little of the liquid as possible, otherwise the tofu will steam instead of brown, stir continuously over a high heat, so the tofu can brown evenly
- When the tofu has browned, add your marinating liquid and the sesame seeds and stir around until all the tofu cubes are covered in sesame seeds, then remove from the heat
Voila, you just made yourself some of the simplest and most delicious tofu. This is such a staple in my family’s weekly dinner repertoire. It is so easy and it can be eaten with pretty much everything. Sometimes we just have it with salad and maybe some roasted vegetables, but it would even be delicious added to a stir-fry or just as I said previously as a side to an otherwise plain pasta dish. That was it for today, not much of a recipe, but you know, who cares, the main thing is a delicious tasting meal, am I right?
Fanny, the foodie